Sunday 10 November 2013

First review

What: Orkney Island Reviews
Where: TENT Gallery
When: Thursday 7th of November
Who: The students of Art, Space and Nature

Last week it was time for our first review in our gallery and we filled it up with all the materials we gathered at our field trip to Orkney. The walls were filled with pictures, drawings, sketches and notes, there was shells, stones, glass, wool, fishing equipment, some wood and other small bits from the island. We watched some videos, listened to some recordings and followed some interesting slideshows. It was really quite interesting to see what people had found and what they have been researching, I think there should be some pretty intriguing projects emerging from this and some well made works going back up to the Pier Arts Centre in Stromness in February. I presented my pinhole camera and the photos, some drawings, a few maps, some images from Stromness and a slideshow of all the photos I took with my digital camera. It was nice to show what I've gathered and get some feedback on it from my colleagues and tutors. I think I have a better idea of where I am going with this source materials now. Here are some photos from the preparation of the review and my final presentation.










I started off with the idea of looking at lights and shadows on the island, how it moves and reacts on the landscape. With the help from my pinhole camera I now have some really interesting photographs to work with. Pavilions, installations, facades, adaptable architecture, dematerialization and atmosphere are some of the things I am looking at for inspiration. Hopefully this will help me develop an interesting design project for Stromness. Time will show...


No comments:

Post a Comment